Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Charles Dickens Unscramble Game


Born 200 years ago upon this date of February 7th, 1812, Charles John Huffam Dickens, was birthed to John & Elizabeth Dickens, his destiny to be the second in a row of eight children. He passed away on June 9th, 1870, mourned by many.

Mr. Dickens was an exceedingly influential writer of the 1800s, affecting everything from TV to our speech patterns (ie,What the Dickens! lol). I didn't begin reading his literature until I was in high school & I have admittedly not read as many of his works as I should have. I am in the process of slowly, but surely devouring his Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, an interesting array of tales that amuse with the satirical irony that seems to envelope much of the plot.

In honor of his birthday I have decided to do an Unscramble Game (Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm was the inspiration with her Unscramble Games of late). It will consist of characters from his books & book titles. The number of letters in each set denotes the amount in the answer.

Points: 5 points for every correct answer & an additional 2 points for every character you can name which book they are from.

Charles Dickens Unscramble Game:

Female Characters:

1. YLSN UNHAPDUHAP (2 words)
2. HNRI EATETMSIS SNPINUK (3 words)
3. TENT LELRN (2 words)
4. LVRED NALYOD (2 words)
5. HYEPKN CSICEFRFR (2 words)
6. TWOD OTBTE MSYSRSOI (3 words)

Male Characters:

7. DDGATF RUOLRE (2 words)
8. TMA LBEBUC SRHOSIR (3 words)
9. QLADNE IUPIL (2 words)
10. MONDAY ISALOS (2 words)
11. BSROGOEC ENEZEER (2 words)
12. THES FIFECPNSK (2 words)


Novels:

13. YARDEGB ABNRU (2 words)
14. MID EWNDOYO ST YEREH ROFDT (5 words)
15. POH OTL YTSHEDCUR SIOI (4 words)
16. ASOBED MYO NDN (3 words)
17. OTW FAISRTLIEV EN OESRUV TDEHT (5 words)
18. PLB ITEHCWKI KCCU (3 words)

Good luck to everyone!

God bless,
Sarah Grace

6 comments:

  1. This is great! I'll definitely post about it, maybe tomorrow or Thursday.
    So glad you enjoy my games! :)

    Putting my guesses in a separate comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try for the other ones later, these were all I could come unscramble right now. Fun! :)

    3. Nell Trent
    4. Dolly Varden
    5. Cherry Pecksniff
    6. Miss Bestey Trotwood

    9. Daniel Quilp
    11. Ebenezer Scrooge
    12. Seth Pecksniff

    13. Barnaby Rudge
    14. The Mystery of Edwin Drood
    15. The Old Curiosity Shop
    16. Dombey and Son
    18. The Pickwick Club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Laurie,
      Thank you so much for helping spread the word. I really appreciate it.

      All of your guesses were correct.

      God bless,
      Sarah Grace

      Delete
    2. Miss Laurie,
      I am so sorry. I forgot to list your score, which is 60. Please try again as many times as you wish.
      Thank you for playing,
      Sarah Grace

      Delete
  3. Well, I think I got a few of them! =) Here I go.

    6. Miss Betsy Trotwood (David Copperfield
    11. Ebeneezer Scrooge [though I think there is an 'r' missing] (A Christmas Carol)
    12. Seth Pecksniff (Martin Chuzzlewit)
    13. Barnaby Rudge
    14. The Mystery of Edwin Drood
    15. The Old Curiosity Shop
    16. Dombey and Son
    18. The Pickwick Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,
      All of your guesses were correct. Your score is 46. Please feel free to try again.
      Thank you for playing,
      Sarah Grace

      Delete