Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Happy Thanksgiving & A Receipt


Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
I hope that each & every one of you has had a memorable & pleasing day. Thanksgiving happens to be one of my favorite holidays of the year, what with the transitioning of the seasons & colors of God's wondrous creation.

My family & I enjoyed a lovely day for a gathering of the clan, albeit somewhat small of a gathering. We dined on the usually thought of fare: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, & cranberry jelly. My grandfather & brother do not like turkey, so we have a dish of shredded beef, as well.

As of July, I began changing my eating habits towards a vegetarian way of dining. I have since been experimenting with many different receipts from varied cultures. In the process I began creating receipts that were inspired by something I had read or simply because a combination of certain ingredients seemed appealing.

I received a book from the interlibrary loan a few weeks ago called Veganomicon that contained a receipt for Sloppy Joes made from lentils. I was unable to remember what exactly went into said Sloppy Joes, so I used what my mother calls my great-grandmother's French cooking influence & winged it.

Below is my receipt for the Lentil Sloppy Joes, which by the by, are equally delicious over rice or mashed potatoes, as on a bun or slice of bread.


Lentil Sloppy Joes
3 cups brown lentils
4 cups water (for boiling lentils)

Sauce:
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins (depending on how you like raisins)
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 pinches mustard powder
2 pinches ginger powder
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses

The lentils are boiled covered for about 25-35 minutes, depending upon the age of the lentils. Most of the water is boiled off by the time that the lentils are tender with just a slight chew to them.
In a separate pot, simmer the tomato sauce, water, & ketchup for a couple minutes, stirring so that it doesn't burn. Then begin adding the rest of the ingredients. After the lentils are done, pour them into the sauce, stirring in lentils. Let everything simmer for a couple more minutes, then serve on as a sandwich or over rice, mashed potatoes, or as a side. Whatever you choose, it is a comforting dish.

God bless,
Sarah Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment